Friday, March 03, 2006

 

Now Playing: Various

Last week or two since finishing Final Fantasy, I have been in "game browser" mode, as usual, playing various games and trying to find my next big addiction. I think I may have found it... and it's not at all what I would have expected.

Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time (Nintendo DS) - this is an RPG mixed with a platformer. It's basically a sequel to the GBA game Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, which I haven't played. I am trying to aquire a copy of Superstar Saga, because I think playing it first might help me. Although, the difficulty in Partners in Time ramps up pretty gradually, really. But I still kind of want to play Superstar Saga first, since Partners is sort of like Superstar but on steriods, and I'm worried that Superstar won't be as fun after finishing Partners. I'm only level 7 or 8 or so in the game so still early. It is definitely a fun game, for sure. Tentatively I'd give it an A.

DUO (PC) - this is a free little shooter by Binary Zoo that I've been spending a few hours on so far. It's highly addictive and very innovative. Kind of hard to describe. It will run on even older PCs. Go ahead, download it, you'll like it! Definitely a B+ and for free you can't beat that.

RPG Maker 3 (PS2) - this is a toolbox game. It comes with a sample adventure, but the main purpose of the sample is to show off the editor. The game lets you design your own 3D RPG game. The look and feel of it reminds me somewhat of Grandia 2 or something similar. The combat, however, is not as good as Grandia series, it's just a simple turn-based system it seems. I'm kind of bummed that they don't really include any easy way to share your adventures with others, so what's the point? I know you can supposedly somehow get the adventures off and upload them to a web site, because there is a web site for it for sharing the adventures. But it's not intuitive. Slow loading times when transfering between areas of the game and going in and out of combat was also a turn-off to it for me. This was a rental, not sure if I'll pick it up or not, might. The thing is, it doesn't seem to have a very thriving community, and any editor game has to have a community otherwise you got no audience for your work. I'd be better off waiting for Neverwinter Nights 2, or even just writing a module for the original Neverwinter Nights, which has a thriving community. So far I'd give RPG Maker 3 a C or so, and that's only if you are interested in the editor.

80 Days (PC) - this is a review game, can't say much on it except it's kind of an action/adventure. Check back here for a linky to a review on GameChronicles soon.

Crime Life: Gang Wars (Xbox) - this is another review game, a beat 'em up action game. Look for a review on GameChronicles soon.

None of those really grabbed me fully, however, to the extent of "addiction".... but .... one game has ....

Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo DS) - This game is pure crack. I laughed at people who had pre-ordered this game, thinking it was going to be dorky. Well, call me a dork. I'm hooked. It's a very simple game, really. You make up a character name and a town name. You move into town and immediately get sandbagged by the local entrepreneur with a big mortgage for your house, and you got no money. But there are lots of ways to make "bells" in the game (the currency). And you'll get to meet all the talking animals that also live in your town. The main purpose of the game seems to be in collecting stuff. You can catch fish, bugs, find fossils, collect furniture and items for your house, upgrade your house, try and build up relationships with the other town folk, etc. It's got a suprising amount of depth. And you can even go online using Nintendo Wi-Fi and visit the towns of your friends. I haven't had a chance to try that yet, but plan to do it this weekend some. I wanted to get a feel for the game first. So far I'm rating this game A+, best game on the DS so far. If you have this game, post me or email me your friends code so we can visit each other in the game!

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?