Tuesday, June 14, 2005
Some games I've been spending time with recently:
- Restricted Area - a Diablo 2 style game set in a cyberpunk setting. So far the levels haven't been that spectacular. Randomly generated treasure-hunting is the core of this game, only instead of magic swords it's cyber-limbs and implants.
- Geneforge - great little shareware RPG I blogged about before. Discover the secrets of a mysterious island that you have been shipwrecked on, choose allies, and become embroiled in the politics of the islanders. Not much eye or ear candy here but the story is A+.
- Call of Duty - still not quite done with this one in single-player mode. This is a superb World War 2 themed FPS. I think what makes this game fun is the weapons. They may or may not be "authentic" (like I would know) but they sure do FEEL right.
- Delta Force Xtreme - great multiplayer co-op mode makes this a blast, join up with friends against terrorists, drug smugglers, and other bad dudes. Or you can go it alone with some AI helpers.
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - open-ended deviant gameplay at its best. The only downside to this game is having to repeat the difficult missions over and over. I really think if Rockstar toned down the difficulty of the missions it would make this series a lot more fun. Or at least put in options for lower difficulty missions. The good news is that this version of the game offers a LOT more non-mission gameplay.
- Planescape Torment - I just installed this on XP to see if the game still worked on my new rig and I couldn't help but get caught up in this wonderful game again. This by far is the best story-oriented RPG ever developed. Even thought it has 640x480 graphics I still love it. Besides if you edit the torment.ini you can play it in a window.
- Dungeons & Dragons Heroes - This is a top-down multiplayer hack-n-slash for the Xbox that Kim and I have been playing through. We started on "easy" because we wanted to get through it faster but there really has been almost no challenge for the regular bad dudes, but for the boss fights it's just about right. Oh well.
- Battlefield 2 - demo is pretty nice but I was getting a lot of lag in MP.
- F.E.A.R. beta - this is only avaiable to to FilePlanet subscribers at the moment. The beta is for the multiplayer part only. It reminded me a lot of Soldier of Fortune MP.
- Dungeon Siege 2 beta - also for FilePlanet subscribers. This also is MP only, but you can create a room for just yourself and go through the quests solo.