Saturday, August 06, 2005

 

Games - Art or Entertainment?

Here's an interesting article on GameSpot about the nature of gaming, is it Art? Or is it just Entertainment?

Personally I got to go with option B. It's Entertainment. And not always even that. :)

But yes, there have been a few, very few, games that I consider artistic, and Art in a way. My favorite chestnut to drag out when this argument arises is Planescape: Torment. While the game had definite game qualities to it, it had such a strong story, such great dialogue, and such artistic and haunting visuals and sounds, that I have to put this one down in the Art category. If you haven't played it, try it, it may change your mind about games.

But, those kinds of games are exceptionally rare. Most of them are just plain entertainment, even if they have elements of art in them, as a whole the game itself doesn't transcend to art status. That's my opinion, of course. I also don't think every movie is art either. I think maybe for something to be considered art by me, it has to move me. It has to have an impact on me. Otherwise I don't think it is.

But that's just me.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?